"Eenie-meenie-miney-mo, churro, cheesecake……rolled in one? .:-) OMG! How can that be?
It may sound silly, but it can be hard to pick just one if you have a wide selection of your favorite sweets. But with a dessert that has two flavors in one, you don't have to. So yes, you can get two tasty treats in one sweet dish. Churro cheesecake rolls are the delectable result of these two time-honored desserts coming together.
Churros and cheesecake go together like peanut butter and jelly. Combining these two in a simple dessert is already divine. What more if you add a crispy fried exterior to this already luscious mix? That will surely be a taste explosion to remember. A bite of this decadent treat will surely leave your taste buds begging for more.
What's so special about churro cheesecake rolls?
Churro cheesecake rolls are a one-of-a-kind and scrumptious dessert that combines two classic treats into one delectable experience. It's a creamy cheesecake filling rolled up in an eggroll wrapper, dusted with cinnamon and sugar, served with a spiced chocolate dipping sauce. A crunchy finger-licking roll with a fantastic fusion of sweet and savory flavors.
Even just reading about it can whet your appetite. But before diving into the how-to, let's trace the origins of these iconic sweets.
What's A Churro?
Churros are fried choux pastry batons popular in Spanish and Portuguese cuisine. But they can also be found in Latin America and other areas where immigrants from Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries have settled. These fried delights can be shaped into thin or thick, knotted or long strips. No matter what shape or size, an extra sprinkling of cinnamon sugar bumps them up another notch of deliciousness.
Churros are traditionally a breakfast food often served with champurrado, hot chocolate, coffee, or caramelized milk (dulce de leche) to dip them in. These days, they're also a popular option for midday snacks.
What About Cheesecake?
It is believed that cheesecakes may have been a staple in ancient Greece long before the Romans conquered the country.
Cheesecakes are sweet desserts with layers. Soft, fresh cheese, eggs, and sugar make up the first and thickest layer. For this purpose, cottage cheese, cream cheese, or ricotta cheese are common choices. The bottom layer is usually crushed cookies, digestive biscuits, graham crackers, pastry, or sponge cake. Then, depending on your preference, you can either bake or refrigerate it.
How do egg roll wrappers take this delicious dessert to the next level?
Asian cuisines enjoy stuffing food into wrappers to make everything from delectably crunchy egg rolls to melt-in-your-mouth tender dumplings. As a result of these tasty results, this cooking trend has spread to other countries. They have different wrapper types, but egg roll wrappers are best for crunchy appetizers.
This egg-based food wrapper is perfect for moist foods like cream cheese and ground meat. Unlike spring roll wrappers, they crisp up and do not crumble when fried to a golden brown, making the pastry compact and crisp to the last bite while keeping the filling intact. And that's what takes this recipe over the top.
Making Churro Cheesecake Rolls: A Recipe
This decadent dessert is simple to prepare. And to make things easier, get the ingredients ready ahead of time.
For the Cheesecake Roll:
- 2 blocks of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Churro toppings and dip
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- A pinch of kosher salt
- A bit of cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add vanilla and blend thoroughly.
- Spread the egg roll wrapper in a diamond position on a clean surface. Moisten the two edges with water. Spoon about three tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture down the middle. Then, roll the bottom half up.
- Fold the sides tightly, gently rolling the top half up to seal. Repeat the process with the remaining wrappers and the filling. Put the finished rolls in the freezer to firm up the filling while you finish the remaining ingredients.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a wide bowl and set aside.
- Pour enough oil into a large skillet or deep fryer and set on medium heat. The ideal temperature is 350 degrees ℉
You can test the oil's readiness by putting a drop of water. When the oil bubbles, then you're ready to cook.
- Fry the rolls until golden or about a minute per side. Then, toss each egg roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture you made earlier. It’s important to do this as soon as the desserts are out of the oil to achieve better coating.
- Dip rolls into the chocolate sauce and enjoy!
For the dipping sauce:
- In a bowl, microwave the heavy cream in 30-second increments until it bubbles. To avoid boiling over, don't leave it unattended.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate chips and mix well. Wait a few minutes after adding the hot cream to the chocolate for the flavors to blend thoroughly.
- Add a pinch of salt and a dash of cayenne pepper, if desired. Whisk until smooth.
Presenting the Churro Cheesecake Rolls!
Churro cheesecake rolls are best served warm. Consuming them while still crisp and sweet will give you the best gastronomic experience. You may add a scoop of ice cream or freshly whipped cream if you like.
On the other hand, adding fruit like strawberries or raspberries can make it even more festive.
Giving in to your cravings for something sweet
Churro cheesecake rolls are an incredibly delicious and unique dessert that combines the classic flavors of churros and cheesecake into one indulgent treat. With its creamy texture, crunchy topping, and sweet cinnamon-sugar flavor, this warm and comforting dessert will surely be a hit with family and friends.
Now that you know, it's time to try it! This dish is easy to make and sure to please everyone at your next party or get-together. It will complement hearty dishes like deep-fried turkey or serve as a delicious substitute for deep-fried Oreos.
So, what are you waiting for? Get in the kitchen and whip up a batch of this deliciousness today.
Don't fret over the oily mess or any excess oil that may remain. We have a waste cooking oil solidifier that can take care of that. Just savor the treat!